Mission complete! Expansion and Brinkmanship arrived yesterday afternoon. I got home from a long walk, in some crazy Ontario weather and saw the package had made it safely. 😁
*To be honest, with our recent long weekend, I completely forgot it was due to arrive when I did!*
I played two solo games last night (and plan for more very shortly). I have to be honest, I was a bit unsure how it would go (in terms of learning how to run the robot) as Tom Lehmann's rulebooks that came with this expansion set looks like a continuation of the rule book in the base game. 🙄 I think Knights Around a Table compared it to a dishwasher manual... 🤣
My only focus was learning the solo version last night. The other expansions can wait until I understand the game better at the table.
Looking at the robot's player board (below), I have to tell ya, I really was unsure how this process would go....
My thoughts after two losses (the second being more of a full on pummelling really)...
I love it!!!! What a fantastic solo mode for Race for the Galaxy! I'm excited to eventually add more cards etc with the other expansions!
Here's a few key things I've noticed after just two plays:
1) The robot is very easy and smooth to run. The iconography is intimidating at first glance, but like any game that relies heavily on such a "language", I find it becomes very apparent quickly and you realize everything is right in front of you to help you.
2) There's some unique aspects to the robot reacting to what YOU do.
3) You very much DO NOT lose the feel of the multiplayer game. It really felt like I was playing someone else (let's say @JW for example...). Like when I played him over Steam, I thought to myself "I'm doing quite well" (from that thought on it pretty much went downhill... 🤣) And it was awesome!
4) There's very little house-keeping with the robot. Turns are smooth and quick.
5) Despite the boring similar look of the rulebook, the solo rules are actually quite easy and quick to reference if needed.
I really think anyone who invests in the Expansion and Brinkmanship isn't concerned about the iconography anyway (as hopefully they've enjoyed the base game with plenty of icons). So to me, as was eluded to in my "Bargain Ninja" post about getting the base game for $10 CDN, this expansion is an absolute no brainer!! I'm impressed already and I haven't even tapped into the expansion stuff yet!!!
Thanks for the recommendation ST gang!
I think I'll head downstairs for a little Race For the Galaxy right now!